Friday, June 19, 2009
1. Eccentricities are sexy. It's actually okay to be yourself.
2. This world is fucked up.
3. And strangely, there are some unspeakably beautiful things inside of it.
4. America is culturally diverse in surprising ways.
5. Dogmatism on the Left is just as bad as it is on the Right.
6. Riding public transit is a great way to effectively start and keep a journal.
7. You should never ever fuck someone to a record that you love.
8. Balkan and Middle Eastern music exists. I recommend listening to it, or learning to play it, or dancing to it.
9. West African drumming and dancing exists too, and the same advice applies here.
10. The world is never what you expect it to be. I suspect that this will never change, but maybe I'm just young.
11. There are corrupt bastards everywhere.
12. Most everything comes down to a vomit-inducing "bottom line."
13. Everything is relative.
14. New Mexico kidnaps its visitors, and they like it.
15. The aforementioned "corrupt bastards everywhere" get away with most everything they do, and it's what moves the world.
16. The closing of a college can cause PTSD and mild depression in hundreds of people.
17. Most of the people who are lucky enough to receive a college education in this country are usually disconnected in some way from the reality of the struggles of the poor.
18. Most everyone in our country is disconnected from the reality that our country is still heavily engaged in two very bloody wars.
19. Too much of anything is bad for you.
20. Ricardo Legoretta's complex on CSF's campus was in no way built for posterity, but it has housed amazing fits of creativity, debauchery, and it is a work of art that has participated with the lives of many.
21. Nakedness is overrated in terms of modesty and underrated in terms of what it can do for you.
22. Growing a garden is one of the best things you can do as a human in this world.
23. I will never be able to number all the things I've learned from CSF, but perhaps most importantly, I learned that the College of Santa Fe was only as great as the people who taught, worked, and studied there. Everything I love and learned from at that place came from the amazing people who were attracted to CSF and Santa Fe. If only Santa Fe could keep them.